Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Season 13!

Author Topic: Mentors and Tutoring/HW Help  (Read 8035 times)

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
Mentors and Tutoring/HW Help
« on: October 17, 2008, 03:56:30 PM »

Hello,

I figured I'd update this board a little more.

If you haven't figured it out already, you can refer to which Mentors can help you in which subjects by using the Team Starter Kit: http://penfieldrobotics.com/forum/index.php?topic=2233.0

Also, students, look at what colleges and universities the mentors went to and feel free to talk to the mentors about them if you're interested. The best way to learn about a specific college/university or even a specific major is to talk to someone who went there. You can ask questions about how many years it took to earn a certain degree, what the food is like on campus, what the city is like where the school, etc.

It may also help to get to know mentors who went to the schools you want to go to and have them write you recommendation letters. ;-) We've done it plenty of times in the past.

In addition, look at where some of the mentors are working. Perhaps they can set you up with a summer internship or even just shadowing them for a day. That way, you can get a better idea of what it's like to be in a certain profession and see if it's really what you want to do. (Instead of wasting $100,000 on college trying to figure that out) Internships and real world experiences look TERRIFIC on college applications (as well as FIRST).

Kschu_Roboman13

• Team Member
    • Email
Re: Mentors and Tutoring/HW Help
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 10:16:25 PM »

Hi i was just wondering which of the mentors of students are good at algebra 1.  I need some help on a weekly.  Im not sure if this is in the right spot or not but I hope it is.  Ok thanks!
Kyle schu
You have teenagers thinking they're going to make millions as NBA stars when that's not realistic for even 1 percent of them. Becoming a scientist or engineer is.
Dean Kamen

Josh Goodman

• Team Member
  • As time expires.
    • Facebook - Josh Goodman
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 11:19:33 PM »

Hey Kyle,

I don't know how reliable I would be but if you have any questions on your algebra, feel free to ask me! I'll do my best to help out, and I'm pretty sure most of the mentors would be able to help to!
Josh Goodman
Rolling Thunder '09
Part-Time Mentor
« e-mail redacted »

Valkyrie

• Team Member
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2009, 09:02:12 AM »

If you see me around, ask - I can probably help you with algebra 1.  (Val Drake, Calvin's mom.)

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2009, 12:09:34 PM »

I am also available to teach Algebra 1. And yes, this is the appropriate place to post!

cavfamily

• Team Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 04:06:46 PM »

I love math!  Especially Algebra!!!   :D

Cynette

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:11:18 PM »

If you know about complements, universal sets and probability trees, then Algebra 1 is for you!!

I tried to help Kyle last night, thinking it was all equations, which I can do, but it ended up being all this theoretical stuff that I mentioned above.

Valkyrie

• Team Member
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 02:32:00 PM »

If you know about complements, universal sets and probability trees, then Algebra 1 is for you!!

Pssst...Leann...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algebra_of_sets
http://math.unipa.it/~grim/21_project/21_charlotte_VinogradovaPaperEdit.pdf

You don't want to know how many times I've used Google to help Calvin figure out his math homework...especially for things that weren't covered in class OR in the textbook!!    ;)