Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Season 13!

Author Topic: Next year's safety animation..?  (Read 4908 times)

VerWolve

• Team Member
  • Distracted by shiny things
Next year's safety animation..?
« on: February 20, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »

Something I've been working on in Blender; hopefully it will convert if we want to use it in the end. I've gotten everything constrained, but not boned. Quick run through -
Tesla Coil Mohawk: I did actually more or less get a sparking effect, but not really the way I wanted. It's invisible in these, I wanted to look up a better way. In the final one, I want them to be present, but relatively low key.
Eyes/Face: He is already wearing safety glasses; I had an idea for another robot that would start without them, at which point this one would point to his and the other would put them on.
Jaw/Voicebox: The jaw extends down/up on those shocks, the effect is rather cool. The rigging took me a while, but eventually I figured out how to rig it so scaling the shocks object vertically extends them, along with the jaw. He also has a little speak with wires trailing off the end.
In the beginning, the universe was created. This made many people very angry and has been widely considered a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

VerWolve

• Team Member
  • Distracted by shiny things
Re: Next year's safety animation..?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 09:05:43 PM »

Second post, ran out of attachments and lines in the text box. More renders below, along with a zip of the .blend file. It was made w/ Blender 2.62 32bit for Windows, but should work on the most up to date build on any system. The program is small, and you can get it at blender.org
Torso/Limbs: The torso has that weird little box on it. Not really for anything, just to have something there. I guess we could have something on the screen, for the time being I just left it off. I was going to put a faint/dark mirror effect on it, but it would have increased my render times a lot. The arms are nurbs paths beveled w/ nurbs circles. The starting points (atm, base of neck and shoulders) are constrained to the torso (or specifically, the ball of the joint) and the objects at the ends are set to follow the path.
Hands: Nothing very special, I need to bone them. At the moment they're constrained enough to work with, just not very easy.
Outlet: I put an outlet on his lower back because... I don't know. I think it'd be cool to have the robot plug in a power tool and use at one point  :D
Overall body: I had ideas for two robots, this one and then a shorter/wider one. Wanted to go for the classic tall & skinny and short & wide duo. The vague idea in my mind is a series of interactions between the two to illustrate the various lessons.
Materials: All (or almost all) materials are set as minneart shading with the darkness set to 0 or near 0, giving it that glow effect around the edges and the cel shaded apperance. The renders have an outline post processing effect which is the black you see.

The last two renders were made after the first post, but just show the stretch/squish of the shocks in the jaw.

So, any thoughts/comments/ideas? It's not boned or animated yet, but from the way it feels now, it should be relatively easy considering the level of complexity. I don't have much in the way of direction, just this character. At the moment, I'm just figuring out how to get him working.  I really want the team to come up with the 'story' for it when the time comes; it'd be cooler if we all decided what would be in it rather then just me or the animation team.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:10:04 AM by VerWolve »
In the beginning, the universe was created. This made many people very angry and has been widely considered a bad move.
-Douglas Adams