Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Be sure to check the calendar for all the fun events we have coming up!

Author Topic: Completely Autonomous Robots??  (Read 4424 times)

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
  • Do or Do Not, there is no Try!
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
Completely Autonomous Robots??
« on: April 02, 2010, 08:34:51 AM »

http://www.chiefdelphi.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84797

And I will note that this HAS been done... my high school team (as I mention in the thread) did run a couple of practice matches fully autonomously one year.  I wouldn't recommend going for it for the full competition (thats an aweful lot of strategy to factor in very very quickly), and it might not even be something real practical for us to do in 6 weeks.  But for a really ambitious student, it might be a great summer or preseason project to "show off" at Ruckus.  Or even just for bragging rights at a competition.

Put your "it cant be done" hats aside, and think about it for a bit... could be fun!
~kim~
Systems Engineer - Draper Laboratory

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

dave_roc

• Mentor
    • Email
Re: Completely Autonomous Robots??
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 07:40:01 AM »

I agree that fully autonomous robots could be the "next big thing" in technology.  FIRST could encourage this in a gradual manner by making the autonomous period a little  longer and/or making the points scored in autonomous count for more than in tele-operated.