Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Season 13!

Author Topic: animation subteam homework  (Read 4606 times)

marly

• Mentor
animation subteam homework
« on: October 09, 2006, 12:27:14 AM »

those of you at the last animation subteam meeting know you have homework this week.

i found a rather mundane commercial with an unusual twist.  i wonder if anyone can spot that twist, a very unusual visual within the commercial, something you don't expect to.

it's a commercial for a car.   starts with a woman at a drive through dry cleaner.     she looks in her rear view mirror and sees a handsome guy in the car behind hers.    so she gives the woman cashier some extra money and her business card, then drives off. 

what is done differently with some visual aspect mentioned on the homework sheet? 

hint; what creates contrast in the commercial visuals?

marly

dhitchco

• Team Member
  • https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/index.mg?AlbumID=3
    • My invention; the CoatClip
    • Email
Re: animation subteam homework
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2006, 04:30:09 PM »

Oooh, ooooh, I love that comercial:

1)  It uses "cut-away" shots at about 5-6 second intervals....very "punchy"
2)  It is very "whimsical" and makes you use your brain.....yes, it's also a bit beyond "PG-rated" but that's OK

For the RollingThunder animation:
a)  Don't worry about royalty and copyrights for music.  I have tons of video background loops and music you can use when you get to that point
b)  Makes sure that your animation is "funny" but has a rememberable "point/theme"
Mentor to Team 1511; Rolling Thunder for photo/video/awards...marketing and whatever.

WirelessTaco

• Videojoes
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2006, 08:49:24 PM »

I think the animation is going to depend on the music. If we can make something that goes sync with some music(with a catchy tune). It will go a long way.

marly

• Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 05:45:30 PM »

glad someone likes that commercial.......I thought it was an interesting twist on an old story........

BUT........what is the  VISUAL ELEMENT  that is done in such an unusual way?   It's done backwards; it's reversed compared to how one commonly uses it.   And, what is its effect on other visual elements and the mood of the commercial? 

Do you know what visual elements are?   line, shape, form, value, color, contrast, texture, pattern.......

marly   

marly

• Mentor
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2006, 03:59:38 PM »

hey, saw another neat commercial....

some sort of whiskey or scotch....

black screen, then gold ribbons, bow, ....the bow unties, ribbon fall away...all on a pure black background...
really neat...

and i got a big laugh from the energizer bunny and the aliens...

got another good laugh from the "Warcraft" ad mimicing "Office Space"......

the last two  are good examples of how to mimic, or parody an existing idea....
timing is important in them, as well as minimalism sort of....like it's subtle; they make the connection without hitting you over the head.

marly