Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Season 13!

Author Topic: Team Showcase Chesapeake  (Read 5641 times)

ibwright

Team Showcase Chesapeake
« on: March 10, 2009, 09:38:37 PM »

Here is the Team showcase Poster
Any comments or suggestions?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2009, 04:34:49 PM by Kims Robot »

"...unforgiveness is the poison that we drink while waiting for the other person to die"- by Pastor Barden G.
“It is our choices that show what we truly are, far more than our abilities”- by J. K. Rowling
"But do not fight for yourself. Fight for others, others that may be saved through your efforts. That is the least you can do."

Bear

• Team Member
  • John "Bear" Hall
    • Frogge Hall
    • Email
Re: Robot Documentation
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2009, 09:49:36 PM »

I find that the diamond pattern in the background makes the text hard to read. 
If this is a poster, it's got to be easy to read.
Could you either mute the pattern some, maybe reduce it's contrast or fade it out some?
Alternatively, maybe the text could go in text boxes with solid color (white?) backgrounds?
Bear

Firefly

• Team Member
  • No matter where you go there you are
    • My company website - OS-Cubed, Inc.
Re: Robot Documentation
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2009, 08:00:11 AM »

I'm with Bear on this one - lose the diamonds or mute them by making them transparent.  Alternatively make the textboxes opaque so that you can read the text without having to sort it out from the background.
Lee Drake, CEO, OS-Cubed, Inc.

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
  • Do or Do Not, there is no Try!
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
Team Showcase Chesapeake
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2009, 04:29:22 PM »

Email I sent out yesterday:

All,
As most of you know, we have a 1 hour timeslot to do a Team Showcase, and a while back we submitted to do "A Week in the Life of 1511".  The timeslot is from 12-1pm on Thursday, so only the group that is going down Wednesday can help out.  I have copied into this email those that have already started to help out and those I thought might be interested in helping, feel free to let me know if you heard others that were interested.  I'm forwarding the email chain that Larry/Cynette & I had discussions on, so you can read that below, but Im going to summarize what I think our next steps are (anyone feel free to add ideas/change dates).

The basic concept would be to have a display behind us that has the days of the week and says something like:
MONDAY: Creating a Team Scouting Database & How to Use it
TUESDAY: Integration Meetings & Using the Wiki
WEDNESDAY: Team Cookbook & Patron Drive Work
THURSDAY: Safety Day!
FRIDAY: Team Fun Events (Skating, Corn Maze, Movie Night, etc)
SATURDAY: Lego Camps, Demos, Community Service
SUNDAY: Leadership & Leadership Bootcamp

We would then have 4-5 of us standing at the table able to answer questions on each of the things we do, we would have handouts on how to do each of them, and some of what we do.  Here is where I think we need to go with creating some of the handouts, etc.

1. Make Flier to Advertise - done? (Rika & Brenton)
2. MONDAY: Creating a Team Scouting Database & How to Use it
- Flier with images from the scouting database*
- Outline of the output Excel sheet*
3. TUESDAY: Integration Meetings & Using the Wiki
- Integration sheet template (maybe one filled out by a team?)*
- Handout on Engineering notebooks: what are they, why are they useful, what does one look like?*
- Document on our Wiki & Its structure*
4. WEDNESDAY: Team Cookbook & Patron Drive Work
- Cookbook from the parents (how to cook for 40+ people!) can use old one, maybe add some from this year?*
- Stapled packet of all of our patron drive documents
5. THURSDAY: Safety Day!
- Have our Safety Book with us
- Document what you do on Safety Night, give some of our topics*
- Safety Quiz?*
6. FRIDAY: Team Fun Events (Skating, Corn Maze, Movie Night, etc)
- Photo Flier that has a list of suggested fun events, team building activities, etc*
7. SATURDAY: Lego Camps, Demos, Community Service
- Copies of our How to do a Fundraiser, How to do a Community Service Event, How to Run a Demo (*one is missing?)
- Copies of our demo checklist
- One page flier on How to run a Lego Camp*
8. SUNDAY: Leadership & Leadership Bootcamp
- CD's of the material for the How to Run a Leadership Bootcamp
- Copies of our leadership application

These are my thoughts currently... if you have any additional ideas or changes you think we could make to the list, please let me know.

I would like to get people to volunteer to take on each of these handouts/fliers.  I can do most of the printing here at Harris, but at the very least, the ones that are starred still need to be MADE.

If anyone has time to meet up to do this, we can meet Saturday after Chairmans, Sunday anytime, Monday after 5pm.

And if I forgot to include anyone that might be interested in helping, please feel free to forward
~kim~
Systems Engineer - Draper Laboratory

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
  • Do or Do Not, there is no Try!
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
Team Showcase Chesapeake
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2009, 04:32:30 PM »

Leann's email/flier:

Not sure if someone else already did this. I had some time at the end of my day at work and made up a quick "Fun Activities" flier. It's not done, but at least it's a base that someone could use. I figure the font could be changed to whatever font we usually use for our stuff. We could put the red camo background in. We could even make all the pictures look like thunderclouds (like the Chairmans photos) - I just didn't know how to do it. We also probably want to see if we can fit in a title (i.e. 1511's Team Building Activities).
~kim~
Systems Engineer - Draper Laboratory

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Team Showcase Chesapeake
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2009, 05:23:08 PM »

Here's the updated Fun Activities flier. I tried putting in the red camo background, but it seems like it's too distracting from the pictures, even when I mute the colors.

I also don't know how to make the pictures look like thunder clouds as I don't have photo shop.

cavfamily

• Team Member
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2009, 08:32:08 AM »

Safety stuff!

For handouts...A team safety sheet, Our incident form and shop inspection checklist, and our safety test!  I have some prizes packed (Kim gave me some).

Should I make some 8 1/2 by 11 versions of some of the team posters for the display itself?

Cynette

cavfamily

• Team Member
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 05:09:07 PM »

Patron Drive!

Do we want to use copies of the 5 documents we actually have?  Should I add any Rolling Thunder decorations on them if they don't have them?
Cynette