Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Season 13!

Author Topic: Walk MS  (Read 8512 times)

heydowns

• Administrator
Walk MS
« on: March 27, 2009, 05:32:03 PM »

Walk MS Community Service Event.  Sunday May 3rd, morning. See the event web site (linked below) for full details.
If you are going you MUST sign up in this thread and also register yourself with the Walk itself (again, see information in follow-up posts).

Pretty much every year, I do the MS Walk (which they now seem to be calling Walk MS?? Tongue), in support of a family member.

It is your basic "collect pledges, walk for a cause" type event, usually with a free lunch at the end, some pledge-level based incentives, and sometimes live entertainment.
Pledges are easy to get, and even easier to collect thanks to a new online pledge system that lets people just do their pledge and payment (if they wish) online.

I will organize this if there is interest in doing it as a team, but for right now I'm just putting it out there as a possible Comm. Service event.

The walk is the morning of Sunday May 3rd. There are three local locations - Rochester (Genesee Valley Park), Greece (sidewalk-walking), and Canandaigua (not familiar with this one).  If we decide to do it, we'd pick one location by majority vote  :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 10:38:23 PM by heydowns »
Jeff

Josh Goodman

• Team Member
  • As time expires.
    • Facebook - Josh Goodman
    • Email
Re: Walk MS: Potential Comm. Service Idea
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 05:54:49 PM »

Sure! I think the red camo should make an appearance! :)
Josh Goodman
Rolling Thunder '09
Part-Time Mentor
« e-mail redacted »

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 10:20:05 AM »

Sounds awesome to me!!

heydowns

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 11:14:01 AM »

Sounds like we have some interest.  Let's say that if at least 4 students post here or e-mail me saying they want to do this, I'll go and get us registered as a team.  Please post your location preference (Canandaigua, GVP, or Greece), too.  Adults feel free to chime in too and give me your location thoughts.  You can get more information about each of the sites (and the walk in general) at www.walkms.org

Please remember, you will need collect pledges before the event.  Ask your family, see if your parents can ask at work, neighbors, etc. 
Jeff

Josh Goodman

• Team Member
  • As time expires.
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 11:50:39 AM »

Genesee Valley Park would be fun!
Josh Goodman
Rolling Thunder '09
Part-Time Mentor
« e-mail redacted »

heydowns

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 05:01:36 PM »

Ok, I created and registered a team for the walk.
Students and other team members, you can self-register for the walk by going to:
http://walknyr.nationalmssociety.org/site/PageServer?pagename=WLK_NYR_homepage

Click on the big "Register for Walk MS" button (or the "Register" link under "Quick Links" at the top of the page).

Click on Monroe County on the map.
Then click on "Rochester Walk MS"  (Genesee Valley Park).
On the left hand side of the page, click on "Team List" and scroll down until you see "Rolling Thunder".

Continue with the rest of the registration.

Once you have registered, you can enter sponsor information (and even let people go there directly and make donations with a credit card) online.  You should get a packet in the mail, as well, with traditional paper-based sponsor forms. Use whichever you prefer.

Students under 18 please note the release form on the last registration page has to be printed and signed by your parents, and brought with you to the walk.

So... now its easy right? Let's see those signups!   Please try to post here, too, so we all know who is going to participate!
Jeff

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 05:26:10 PM »

As we are hoping you all would participate out of the goodness of your hearts (and the fact that this is ANOTHER thing that makes us a Chairman's Team), let me provide a little more incentive.

This walk will count towards community service Achievements for the 2009 - 2010 year.

HyprAkktiv

• Team Member
  • "It's okay to stumble, So go forward." -Gazette
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 05:04:05 PM »

This sounds like a lot of fun!~ I'm definitely interested in going, but I can't promise that I'll be there just yet. ^^

Give me a few weeks and I'll probably be able to go. :3

Teach me and I forget, Show me and I remember, Let me do it and I understand.
Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly.

heydowns

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »

OK!  Just remember you need to be able to have some time to collect pledges from friends, family, neighbors, etc!
Jeff

Josh Goodman

• Team Member
  • As time expires.
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 09:07:49 PM »

People Signed Up:

Josh G
Crystal V
Mike H
Brenton W (Maybe)
Rika L
Larry L
Paul J
« Last Edit: April 21, 2009, 11:44:03 AM by heydowns »
Josh Goodman
Rolling Thunder '09
Part-Time Mentor
« e-mail redacted »

heydowns

• Administrator
Re: Walk MS
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 10:40:01 PM »

As people sign up, please make sure you are registering directly with the Walk and begin to collect pledges.
See my prior post http://penfieldrobotics.com/forum/index.php?topic=2604.msg9140#msg9140 for how to sign up with the Walk.
Jeff

imamonkey

• Team Member
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 03:43:32 PM »

I'm signed up ;D

~Mike H. (Mike doesn't = Micke Josh.........and remember, this is Mike H., not Shauna :D)

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 11:25:39 AM »

For those of you who check the forum more than your email:

I forgot to talk about getting to and from the MS Walk at last night's meeting. If you need a ride, LET ME KNOW ASAP (by this Friday). Otherwise, I will assume you are getting a ride to the park. If you are, please arrive by 9am.

Check-in is at 9am and the actual walk STARTS at 10am. If you want to meet up, we will meet at the high school at 8:30am. It will probably end around noon.

Remember to bring all of your pledges in your envelope that you should have received in the mail. You will also need a participant form signed by a parent or guardian if you are UNDER 18. Otherwise, you need to sign it yourself and bring it with you.

We will wear team gear to represent! Make sure you wear comfy shoes! Also, check the weather as it is rain or shine! So Rolling Thunder windbreakers may be a good idea if it's going to rain. Right now it looks like it will be low 60s and partly cloudy!

Get those pledges, guys!!!

cavfamily

• Team Member
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 04:16:36 PM »

Who needs sponsors?  I'd sponsor someone if only they would ask pretty please.  Otherwise, I'll go online and sponsor Jeff!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:20:39 PM by cavfamily »
Cynette

Crystal

• Tiny Fearless Leader
    • See my world on Tumblr
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2009, 11:57:07 PM »

I didn't get any pledges, Cynette.. =(

Attendance:

Mike Hartman
Crystal Vongnaphone