Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Season 13!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Webpage Suggestions  (Read 10161 times)

VerWolve

• Team Member
  • Distracted by shiny things
Webpage Suggestions
« on: November 19, 2009, 01:13:59 PM »

Ok. Last meeting, Larry said to tell the webpage anything you think we need/would like to see. Please post them here (rather then tell us in person). That way we have a way to 'store' the ideas.  ;D
In the beginning, the universe was created. This made many people very angry and has been widely considered a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
  • Do or Do Not, there is no Try!
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
Re: Webpage Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2009, 08:48:43 AM »

All my suggestions are already posted here:
http://penfieldrobotics.com/forum/index.php?topic=2785.0

I think the website has a GREAT look, I'm mostly after content since a lot of teams have used and accessed our site.
Did you guys know we are linked on the FIRST page???
http://www.usfirst.org/roboticsprograms/frc/content.aspx?id=7010
I would really LOVE to get the page they link to cleaned up and more useful.  I can help with it, but others ideas (and maybe other teams ideas - check Chief Delphi) would be useful.

And one other thought I had, not sure if its listed in the link above, is we could probably do a lot more with our media pages... flash players, slideshows of photos, videos etc.  Josh did a pretty good job working on the videos page, but the photos are just old links to smugmug.  And the videos could include more of our highlights and recruiting videos (I would love to see ALL of the videos we have made posted).
~kim~
Systems Engineer - Draper Laboratory

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2009, 10:13:30 AM »

I would think the Webpage subteam's main concern would be updating the website.

In the FLL page, we need to update our "history of events" towards the bottom and include the FLL QTs on 11/21 and Championships on 12/6. We should also get information from Ms. Ihrig about our Bahamas FLL team we started up, AR SupaMix!!

In our News section, we need to include the D&C article from Ruckus.

We will have a new student leader soon, so once we get that information, we'll need to update that on the Leadership page. Also, maybe we can get some pictures of the Student Leaders on there? What about having a separate page (or a link off of the Leadership page) for just who the Leadership Team is instead of making that page long and making readers scroll?

Maybe someone on the Webpage subteam could be in charge of updating the Announcements on the home page.

We should get all of our Best Website and Website Excellence logos on the front page.

Team Bios, we should include pictures of everyone. They can be found in the Team Starter Kit posted on the forums.

In the "About Us", we should maybe have more graphics. Like a picture of the school, Harris, past team photos from every year (2005 - ).

The Photos page could use some work. Either update the latest links to the latest photos or just make a collage of some cool photos and include only the link to Smug Mug.

FRC Events - Ruckus link is ruckus.penfieldrobotics.com. We should also include more photos from this year!

In the Sponsors list, can we get some graphics/logos to include and make the page a little more attractive? What about saying something like, "Interested in Sponsoring Team 1511? Contact Team Leader Larry Lewis." Maybe add a little more about WHY someone should sponsor us (foster future engineers and scientists, get their company name or logo on our shirt, robot or even in our team name)

Fundraising page needs to be wiped or updated. And put a link to the Fundraising ideas from the Forum on there.

Meal Schedule needs to be wiped and ready for this coming year!

You guys have a lot of work to do. Hopefully, you have "homework" to do on the website while you guys are not meeting, as you only meet every other week.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 10:25:49 AM by Leann »

Valkyrie

• Team Member
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 01:51:21 PM »

Please don't wipe the meal stuff yet - I'd like to have the "sample menus" up there for parents to look at through the end of December!

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2009, 03:25:35 PM »

I would think the Webpage subteam's main concern would be updating the website.
To be completely honest, in my past experience with "website guru's" (if you know/knew Rajeev, Jeff & Eric you know what I mean) they were more interested in the look/layout/function of a website than the content.  Its true that the content is what makes our site great... but be honest, the website team doesnt write our press releases for a reason :) (not that they arent capable, but half the time, they arent interested).  A lot of the content can and SHOULD come from other subteams, but I would agree that the webpage team should manage getting it updated... but it may take sending a lot of emails to others.  Honestly its a question of if it needs to be a push or a pull (really other subteams should be sending news to the webpage team to get posted, they shouldnt have to pull the info... but at this point its probably a pull).

Anyways back on topic...
I just stumbled on this for my job and thought it might be cool to integrate on our Resources & Design Process Pages (and its something fun/technical to integrate!)
~kim~

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

VerWolve

• Team Member
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 06:55:18 PM »

And one other thought I had, not sure if its listed in the link above, is we could probably do a lot more with our media pages... flash players, slideshows of photos, videos etc.  Josh did a pretty good job working on the videos page, but the photos are just old links to smugmug.  And the videos could include more of our highlights and recruiting videos (I would love to see ALL of the videos we have made posted).

Sounds like an easy lesson for us. Could we ask were they are? Noone at the meeting tonight can find it.
In the beginning, the universe was created. This made many people very angry and has been widely considered a bad move.
-Douglas Adams

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 10:36:24 AM »

Our former media guy, Doug Hitchcock, gave us a bag full of tapes of videos, etc. from past years (Larry has it). We definitely need someone or several people who are willing to go through all of this and organize it.

Could we set up a YouTube page for 1511? And we can post all of our videos and thus "save" these videos, etc. in another media?

I am not savvy with that sort of thing. Nor do I know how to convert things on tape (VHS and those smaller ones from video cameras) to a digital media file.

Josh Goodman

• Team Member
  • As time expires.
    • Facebook - Josh Goodman
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 12:02:07 PM »

I was going to setup a Youtube page for Rolling Thunder last year. I still can if you would like. Right now, I have most of the media stuff from the last 5 years stored on DVD's and mostly my external hard drive. I also have a large pile of DVD's from Doug Hitchcock from this summer which I haven't done anything with as well.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but before Kim left, did she not buy a large external drive for the team for media stuff? Or was that only a planned concept. Another good idea would be to put up all the media stuff on the website database or ftp or such so it could be remotely accessed without need of any physical device. And in a better quality than getting a crappy free Youtube downloader.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 12:06:16 PM by Josh Goodman »
Josh Goodman
Rolling Thunder '09
Part-Time Mentor
« e-mail redacted »

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 11:13:39 AM »

If you want to take this task on, I'd say go for it!

I can give you the bag of media that Doug gave us. Not sure if you already have all that footage.

VerWolve

• Team Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 01:29:08 PM »

Cool.
-Douglas Adams

heydowns

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 02:47:40 PM »

For everyone's information, I plan on tackling any number of "infrastructure" issues/needs/enhancements to the website during the holiday break before kickoff.  This is the "heavy lifting" stuff that goes on behind the scenes.
In the coming weeks I'm going to comb the forums here and talk with Rick to get together the list of things. We'll have to pair it down to a realistic set of goals. Please make sure you have posted any other suggestions in the next week or two.

Content updates should be ongoing and I'd like to see the web page students doing the bulk of these, posting here or asking Rick or I if they need help.

The push v. pull commentary is interesting -- I think the point that news being more of a push-to-webpage team concept is an important one.
Jeff

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:15:27 AM »

I was talking to Rick yesterday and we came up with another idea.

For those pages that are really long and require a lot of scrolling, maybe we need to look into making more links on that page.

For example, the Competition page. Just give pictures and information about the current year's game. Then have links to the previous years' competitions. "2005 Competition", "2006 Competition," and so on. Then on each of those linked pages, you can have all the details and pictures, etc. of that specific year's game. But the "main" page of the Competition will just be the most recent stuff.

This should/could apply for a lot of other pages, too. For things like Alumni, whoever is organizing this and has better website aesthetic expertise, can make their best judgement on whether that should have links to previous years' alumni or just keep it all on one page.

Leann

• Administrator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 01:59:58 PM »

I had some downtime at work today and updated a couple of pages.

I updated the Team Bios page (still needs pics of everyone - I don't have the capability to do that from my work computer)

Summer and Preseason Pages.

I will post if I make any more edits.

However, I have been editing people's spelling and grammar. Please make sure EVERYONE is looking for this. It doesn't look very professional if you have misspellings, etc.

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2009, 02:48:35 PM »

For those pages that are really long and require a lot of scrolling, maybe we need to look into making more links on that page.

For example, the Competition page. Just give pictures and information about the current year's game. Then have links to the previous years' competitions. "2005 Competition", "2006 Competition," and so on. Then on each of those linked pages, you can have all the details and pictures, etc. of that specific year's game. But the "main" page of the Competition will just be the most recent stuff.

Something I have seen a lot more (and I think we implemented it somewhere on our website, didnt we??) is Link Dropdown type stuff, where you have a column heading and maybe a short sentence, paragraph or picture, and then you can click drop down and get "more" information... it opens up more info on that same page (making the page longer), but at first glance you can get a summary of the full page, and you dont have to navigate through a sea of pages, its all still there, just "hidden"...  I feel like we did this somewhere, but cant seem to find it..  The web guys will probably know what I am talking about, but I think this covers it.  Oh maybe it was Eric implementing it in the forums that Im thinking of...
~kim~

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2009, 02:51:07 PM »

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but before Kim left, did she not buy a large external drive for the team for media stuff? Or was that only a planned concept. Another good idea would be to put up all the media stuff on the website database or ftp or such so it could be remotely accessed without need of any physical device. And in a better quality than getting a crappy free Youtube downloader.
I did end up buying a large hard drive, but it wasnt with team money (I never submitted for a refund). I still have all the team documents and need to get them to Larry & posted on the website (new house & job have sucked up all my free time! ugh!).  The harddrive probably wasnt big enough to store all of our video files, but Terabyte harddrives are getting pretty cheap now and would be a good idea for the team to get.
~kim~

Pages: [1] 2