Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Season 13!

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Scouting Database Brainstorming  (Read 15626 times)

Ramerez

• Team Member
  • The Galaxy needs saving. You in?
Scouting Database Brainstorming
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »

This is a discussion of what features and functionality we want to place in the new version of the scouting database that will be first used in the 2010-2011 season.

Some background on this database is that it has been fully made by students, mainly Justin to give credit where it's due and uses MySQL instead of Lab-view. The nice feature with this change is that this program is now understandable by human beings who did not make the database. My list of suggestions is as follows.

-Thumbnails of each robot at the competitions. This will require a dedicated photographer to take the photos and then name them appropriately.

-Show the early release version (the beta version if you will) of the database to the whole team once build season finishes to get their thoughts and impressions.

-Have a video of a nuke go off when it crashes, amongst other Easter Eggs.

-Make all the buttons extremely big and easy to push.

-Have every match file be saved both locally on the computer of origin and remotely to the host, to prevent loss of information.

-Make an indicator light on the scouting sheet AND the host machine warning if a connection is lost.

-Make the information available to view in Excel, where it is properly sorted and has extra categories showing totals for things likes shots made and total shots taken.

-Display the current version of the database in the lower right hand corner of the scouting program on each of the scouting computers.

-Make the database easy to upgrade, allowing for patches to be released DURING competition.

These are just requests for the actual scouting section of the database. There is also another section of the database that puts all the data into a graphical page, showing trends for each of the teams. This will allow the strategy team to, at a glance look at the data and predict the abilities of other teams the next day.

I will not post any requests for that until the development of that section of the database has been more thoroughly discussed.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:53:14 PM by Ramerez »
Matthieu
PR Coordinator and Media Lead
Senior
Marketing Subteam

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
Re: Scouting Database Brainstorming
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »

I thought it was going to pull a dr. octogonopus when it crashes? Tha will be the most interesting thing to add amongst other things.

Sometime soon I can get some of these things done, probably the easiest will be the thumbnails, I'll get on it when I get the chance
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:11:19 PM by c0baltHa1l »
Justin

Why do I have to plug in my computer's power cable? The box said it was wireless

Ramerez

• Team Member
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 10:55:55 PM »

Maybe we should have it randomly choose a "crash" version, thereby letting the scouters have something to discuss. I was also thinking about volume. Most of the laptops are muted, so we'd have to make it override Windows volume temporarily (I want it temporary because its very annoying to hear the Windows start-up sound in the hotel at 2 in the morning).

Another suggestion that I have (this is actually Mr. Drake's idea) is to make the whole form a wizard. This would make it easier for people new to the database fill out the information. It would also be cool for there to be an option to toggle between all the information being shown at once and the program running throgh the wizard.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 02:04:45 AM by Ramerez »
Matthieu
Senior
Marketing Subteam

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:48:17 AM »

Well, we would have to wait until next year to make it a wizard which is extremely easy to do. For the crashing thing, the only thing I can think of for that is another program that monitors the status of the main program and plays a video when it crashes.

There is no way to display a red light on the host, but there is a very simple way to list the hostnames or ips of the clients connected to the database when you click a button.

UPDATE: The database source code/visual studio project/ have been uploaded to my svn. To create an account on it go here: http://24.149.40.126:527/svn1511/register.php and the code is the password we use for everything else on our team. The SVN address is http://24.149.40.126:527/svn/scoutingdb but my server will not be up all the time, but it should be up pretty much all day when I'm home.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 03:20:56 PM by c0baltHa1l »
Justin

Why do I have to plug in my computer's power cable? The box said it was wireless

Ramerez

• Team Member
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 09:15:31 PM »

I think that we're going to want to prototype the wizard with the version that of the database that you already have. If you can't easily make an indicator light, I think that we should just have the host run a seperate program that pings the ips of all the computers being used every so often (hopefully every minute), and changes the color of the text from green to red when it looses the connection with that computer. That way, a nearly seamless system could be used by whoever is managing the network to diagnose connection issues.
Matthieu
Senior
Marketing Subteam

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 09:17:38 PM »

Well, wouldn't it be good enough to have a list of all the clients connected that updated every 30 secs - 1 min? Just to be clear, this would only be on the host. On the client I could easily do an indicator light to turn red when a connection fails.

A thing I was thinking of was a small feature to detect if a windows game was opened and kill the process automatically.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:27:37 PM by c0baltHa1l »
Justin

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 08:52:06 AM »

UPDATE: Ok, I have made it a wizard (its not too pretty but at least we have something to work with) and it is up on the SVN. My svn is up as of 8:45 and should be up all day.
Justin

BlueBlitz

• Team Member
  • Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 11:08:58 AM »

I am glad that you guys are taking on this project.  Could you please attach some screenshots of what you have so far for the ones that don't have access in SVN.  Just as a suggestion maybe it would be good to take last years game and design your scouting database around that.  Then you have a basic framework to work with when we get into build season and the game is realeased.  Making easy to update the GUI for the new game and being able to analyze the new data is going to be very important.

Also we will need a tool that can crunch all the numbers during competition and create a display of that information so that we can recall that during our strategy sessions.

Final thought.  This really is a Strategy topic not corporate.
Larry
;-)

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 05:32:55 PM »

Yes, I have made the entire database already, and it is a fully working duplicate of last year's game. Anybody can access the source code on the svn as long as my computer is on, and I asked jeff to add a folder in the programming svn for my source code, so that is where it will be eventually. so for now, I can do screenshots.

Current Features:
-Uses MySQL to store the scouting data
-Host can create/delete the database for the event
-Host can bring up a table of all the scouting data
-Host has instruction & easy install for the mysql server
-Host detects if the service is running, stopped, or not installed and disables buttons depending on what the status is
-Host displays the ip so the clients know what to configure for

-Client stores configuration data in the registry (event, user, pass, host ip)
-Client has completely working form bases on breakaway
-Client auto-corrects the database columns based on what controls/options are on the form
-Client organizes the columns in the database based on a value set in each control on the form

-Easy to change for new game: the client works by detecting all the form controls, and finding their names and values to enter into the database. When its time to change, all you need to do is drag and drop new controls and set their names and organizational numbers - don't even need to change any code!

Attached screenshots
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 05:36:14 PM by c0baltHa1l »
Justin

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:05 PM »

More screenshots
Justin

heydowns

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 02:02:33 PM »

-Thumbnails of each robot at the competitions. This will require a dedicated photographer to take the photos and then name them appropriately.

I challenge you guys to go a step further   :)    Thumbnail(s) selectable on the robot stat sheet or other info display, then an easy way to "open" the full-view(s) of the robot as full-size images.
This would enhance the current setup of  "ok this robot... someone can you look up its photo and show it to everyone?"
One easy way to do this is to have a simplistic tool that imports the photos into the database tables if you want to have the photos in the DB;  a second way is to put them under a webserver root and enter URLs into the DB.  The client then pulls the URLs and displays from there (either internally or in a browser).

-Make the information available to view in Excel, where it is properly sorted and has extra categories showing totals for things likes shots made and total shots taken.

An easy way to do this is to export the designated query(ies) to comma-separated value (CSV) files; these can then be opened in Excel.  I am sure there are open source modules/utilities to dump CSV from SQL queries.

Jeff

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 02:21:52 PM »

I challenge you guys to go a step further   :)    Thumbnail(s) selectable on the robot stat sheet or other info display, then an easy way to "open" the full-view(s) of the robot as full-size images.
This would enhance the current setup of  "ok this robot... someone can you look up its photo and show it to everyone?"
One easy way to do this is to have a simplistic tool that imports the photos into the database tables if you want to have the photos in the DB;  a second way is to put them under a webserver root and enter URLs into the DB.  The client then pulls the URLs and displays from there (either internally or in a browser).

An easy way to do this is to export the designated query(ies) to comma-separated value (CSV) files; these can then be opened in Excel.  I am sure there are open source modules/utilities to dump CSV from SQL queries.

Showing the full size image is really simple (instead of using a picturebox, I can use a button and make the image a button) and when you click the imagebutton, it launches the picture file itself.

For CSV, we're ahead of you on that, that's what I was planning on doing as suggested by Mr. Drake earlier when I showed it to him and Mattieu.

Also - the repository is now on our svn, the new address is here:

http://svn.penfieldrobotics.com/FRC2010/scoutingdbnew/trunk/
Justin

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
  • Do or Do Not, there is no Try!
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 04:24:24 PM »

This is awesome that you guys are working on this.  Once you get it to a functioning point let me know, and I can do some test runs against online matches (or perhaps even at Ruckus).
~kim~
Systems Engineer - Draper Laboratory

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 06:06:23 PM »

It is at a working point right now, here is a link to the installer files. I'll PM you a link to the download of the installers

Justin

Ramerez

• Team Member
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 05:21:26 PM »

It'd be a good idea to allow for the thumbnail to increase in size, but the strategy meeting would be using a separate section of the program, one that allows them to see trends, and there we would put a "fact sheet" (possible derived from the pit scouting sheet) that they could access.
Matthieu
Senior
Marketing Subteam
Pages: [1] 2 3