Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Season 13!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2011 Scouting Database  (Read 11809 times)

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
  • Do or Do Not, there is no Try!
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
2011 Scouting Database
« on: February 06, 2011, 02:34:40 PM »

Here are screenshots of the first draft of the 2011 Scouting Database that Justin put together in mySQL!!
~kim~
Systems Engineer - Draper Laboratory

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
Re: 2011 Scouting Database
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »

We have also put together some suggestions for updates here.  These need to be run by the strategy subteam before they are implemented, but take a read through and let us know if you have other ideas.

PLEASE REVIEW THESE CHANGES IF YOU ARE ON THE STRATEGY SUBTEAM
(in the attachment)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 01:55:42 PM by Kims Robot »
~kim~

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

Calvin

• Team Member
  • I are Calvin. I are hyper.
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2011, 07:41:15 PM »

I think all of Kim's changes are fine, but I would make one of my own. First, I would make the button to click when minibot leaves robot very large. Second I would merge minibot and teleoperated, and move the general (or "driving" and "scoring" as Kim calls it) boxes to post-match, as I (and many other people I think) evaluate those last. This would allow scouters to have the minibot button ready and in front of them on the teleoperated screen so they don't have to click to another screen and then try to click the start button if the robot makes a quick deploy.

Other than that it looks great!
I are Calvin. I are hyper.

Crystal

• Tiny Fearless Leader
    • See my world on Tumblr
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2011, 07:51:56 PM »

It looks pretty good, but I'm a little afraid of all the tab switching, but should be fine with the huge Next button.

For the scoring grid image, is there an uber tube on the blue piece, second row? It's a little more difficult to see, could the uber overlap? or maybe make the blue a little less thick? Also, what are you doing about two tubes on one peg that aren't ubers at all? Can you still place like a square and a triangle?

Didn't we decide on having a different scouter watch the feeders? (a person other than the 6 watching robots).

Looks great! (All the visual is super awesome, it'll make things easy.)
Crystal Vongnaphone
2010 Boston Regional Dean's List Finalist
1511 Alumni

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 11:18:23 PM »

Didn't we decide on having a different scouter watch the feeders? (a person other than the 6 watching robots).
Matthieu & I talked about this when we were reviewing it, and my plan is to see if we can keep it in the match scouting, but make a submission form on the Host (along with penalties) so that if we do have an extra person we just tell the scouters not to worry about it.  I have a feeling, especially at FLR, its going to be hard to get 7-8 people to run scouting, so I think we should plan for it to just be the six, but allow for an extra person's inputs if we can get extra people.
~kim~

Mark Mascadri

• Team Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2011, 09:03:35 AM »

- Change “Click when deployment starts” to “Click when Mini-bot Leaves Robot”

I think that deployment speed is just as important if not more so than mini-bot speed. Also this distinction could be difficult for scouters to make. Maybe to make it easier on the scouters the timer should be clicked as the towers become active?

Mo Elhelw

• Team Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2011, 12:32:57 PM »

other than what everyone else has said, i like it.
Mo

2011 - 2013 FLL Coordinator
10th Season Team Captain

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2011, 01:56:31 PM »

I think that deployment speed is just as important if not more so than mini-bot speed. Also this distinction could be difficult for scouters to make. Maybe to make it easier on the scouters the timer should be clicked as the towers become active?

Please read the actual document attached in my second post.  It contains this change (as well as others)
~kim~

Jason

• Team Leedur
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2011, 04:24:24 PM »

I agree with what everybody else has said but would suggest adding an arrow to the next button to even make it more obvious.

Also more of a questions but when students are required to enter a number like team number or penalties do the have to use the arrows or can they type the number in the box.

Other than that it looks good to me.
Jason
Team Captain
Field, Strategy, & Leadership Subteams
2011 Finger Lakes Regional Dean's List Finalist

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 06:27:27 PM »

Also more of a questions but when students are required to enter a number like team number or penalties do the have to use the arrows or can they type the number in the box.

They can type the numbers in for I think all but the minibot position. Although Ideally I am trying to get Justin to be able to import a spreadsheet that preloads info like the match number & team number etc.
~kim~

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2011, 10:23:36 AM »

Alright, I think I got everyone's changes in here.
(except I didn't move the "Scoring" to post-match as I think it fits with the Scoring layout in Teleop now...)

Please read over the attached document and let me know if I missed anything.  I did what I could to simulate the new layouts, so it should give you a pretty good idea.

And we end up down to 3 tabs
Pre-Match & Auto, Teleoperated, Post-Match

The big Next button should help and I think it will be easy to enter the data with some of the suggestions.
~kim~

heydowns

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2011, 12:19:19 PM »

If the scouting developer(s) are up to the challenge, you can save the work of typing in the schedule by parsing the online schedule, which is published when the Qual schedule is made active (usually Thursday night, Friday morning at the latest).  It looks like this:
http://www2.usfirst.org/2010comp/events/ROC/schedulequal.html

Caveat: won't work at events without internet access for the field, but I think most of them do (FLR does at the least).
Jeff

heydowns

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2011, 12:48:32 PM »

Please read the actual document attached in my second post.  It contains this change (as well as others)

I think what Mark was trying to suggest is that the guidance in the document be changed -- that we actually do account for deployment time (so leaning back towards the way it is in the current software, not the new suggested wording).

It is a difference of timing it from the start of deployment (the way Justin had it) versus the end of deployment (the way that is suggested in the document).

At the risk of agreeing with Mark for perhaps the third time this build season  :)  I would say that you would want to take into account the entire time needed to get the minibot going and up to the trigger point.
Of course, also at the risk of agreeing with Mark again (gasp), his suggestion of starting timing at the 10 seconds-left point is pretty relevant --  what is the metric for success? Not the speed of the deploy and/or climb necessarily, but rather how far into that 10 second window you accomplish it relative to the others doing the same. 

If you routinely fuss around several seconds into the 10 second window to get the deploy right, then do it and your minibot goes up the pole at ludicrous speed, it doesn't matter - you started the whole process seconds too late.

By the same token, there's margin for data skew here as someone could dawdle around if they know their opponents won't come close to them.

It is technically two data points to get the complete picture, but realistically we may find it unimportant to have the distinction.

TLDR: At any rate, I think I'd want to know the deployment time for sure, and maybe how long into the 10 second window they start the process (could be a separate data point).
Jeff

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2011, 12:59:14 PM »

Caveat: won't work at events without internet access for the field, but I think most of them do (FLR does at the least).
If they get it working, I will get internet :)

As for the whole minibot deploy thing I disagree... late deployment can be coached out of a team, time to deploy & climb is what we care about.  For example, if they "routinely fuss", as a coach, I would tell them they need to be AT the pole at the 20 second mark, and start watching their robot/coach at that point, ensuring they get there well before the 10 seconds.

Plus I believe the likelihood of a team with an insanely fast minibot constantly being "late" to the pole is HIGHLY unlikely.  If they have a good minibot, they are much more likely to have a "smart" driveteam.  Im willing to take the risk, and would rather know the time from when the minibot leaves the robot to when the minibot hits the top of the pole.

Justin currently has it so it starts timing when you hit the button at deployment start, and you hit the button again (it changes text) to stop timing... like a stopwatch.  I think this meets the second part of your post...?

Regardless it can all be done in how we train the scouters.  If the robot is at the pole at the 10 second start, its likely they will start the count then.  If the robot isnt at the pole at the 10 second and races over there with 5 seconds left, you start it then...
~kim~

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2011, 01:25:53 PM »

I realized I mixed up a couple of the minibot fields, and forgot to add in the "who's minibot" that some of us had thought of previously.  The Telop page is updated in this document.
~kim~

Pages: [1] 2