Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Be sure to check the calendar for all the fun events we have coming up!

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 2011 Scouting Database  (Read 11818 times)

heydowns

• Administrator
Re: 2011 Scouting Database
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2011, 02:49:48 PM »

... the likelihood of a team with an insanely fast minibot constantly being "late" to the pole is HIGHLY unlikely ... would rather know the time from when the minibot leaves the robot to when the minibot hits the top of the pole.

That's ok.  For clarity, the initial point I was making (and I think Mark was trying to make) is that the suggested on-button text "leaves the robot" sounds like we want the time from the minibot ending contact with the robot (end of deployment), as opposed to when the actual start of deployment (thus including time to move minibot to pole from breaking plane of tower base), or even a more conceptual and less technical "leaving the robot" that is I starting ejecting this thing from the body of my robot to get to the pole and climb up.
Using our own robot as an example, half of our use of the 10 second period (3 of 6 total seconds used) is in deployment and by design there's no way around that.
So my suggestion (and I think Mark's) is that you'd want to account for all 6 seconds as opposed to just the 3 to climb the pole.

...starts timing when you hit the button at deployment start, and you hit the button again (it changes text) to stop timing... like a stopwatch.  I think this meets the second part of your post...?

Not really-- the second part I was more talking about "how far beyond the 10 second start point do you get started on this whole process and do we want to include that as it may ultimately affect the number of points they put on the board".  But you talked about that above so I think you got what I was saying; I can totally agree that it is a separate point of data to the actual deploy+climb and you have a better feel for if it is a helpful data point than I do.
Jeff

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
  • Do or Do Not, there is no Try!
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2011, 03:09:36 PM »

Ahh I think I see the terminology mixup... When I was thinking "leaves the robot" I meant any movement of Deploying the minibot... so "breaking the plane of the tower" essentially.  To me "leaves" was the act of starting to leave the robot, which is why I was confused on your points.

We were actually just trying to clarify Justin's wording for mentors and other scouters who might not know the definition of Deployment.

Maybe we can figure out a better way to term this, as we don't feel the initial wording was clear enough for someone who doesnt know the exact definition of deployment.

I guess in the end we are all trying to say the same thing... The "time from breaking the vertical plane of the tower base to when the minibot hits the top of the pole" is what is important.
~kim~
Systems Engineer - Draper Laboratory

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

Calvin

• Team Member
  • I are Calvin. I are hyper.
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2011, 03:17:19 PM »

All right, V3 looks good to me! :)
I are Calvin. I are hyper.

Mark Mascadri

• Team Member
« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2011, 03:54:19 PM »

Deployment is the definition that i find fits best as it is the correct and less confusing term.

I do not think someone who does not know what deployment is will be an adequate scout.

anyways we can define the terms as we explain the scouting system to the team prior to competition

There were certain decisions made by the strategy team, with the addition of Justin and Jeff. Should we hold another brief meeting to discus the changes at tonight's meeting? 

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2011, 04:36:48 PM »

If you hold a meeting on the Scouting system, I would like to be included (perhaps via webcast) as I have put a lot of time & thought into the changes proposed here. 

I am likely not available until after 7pm via phone, ~7:30pm via internet.

As for your definition of a good scout, we have had other teams offer to help and parents and mentors who may not get the "training" who have sat in those seats, so making it as intuitive as possible should be our goal.  You shouldn't have to understand strategy or even all the rules to gather data if we do this correctly.  I agree its better if the scouts do understand strategy and rules, but I doubt we have 7 people that can cover all of the competitions all of the matches that fit that description.
~kim~

Steve Jobs: The heaviness of being successful was replaced by the lightness of being a beginner again, less sure about everything. It freed me to enter one of the most creative periods of my life.

Ramerez

• Team Member
  • The Galaxy needs saving. You in?
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2011, 08:29:33 PM »

The lack of always available scouters who know the game strategy and rules makes simplicity key. Not to mention that the strategy analysts might not need all the data, so simplicity makes there job shorter and easier.
Matthieu
PR Coordinator and Media Lead
Senior
Marketing Subteam

c0baltHa1l

• Cultural Ignoramus
    • Lion's Blood Studios
    • Email
Rally Data
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »

Here is the export of all the data from scouting at Rally
Justin

Why do I have to plug in my computer's power cable? The box said it was wireless

Ramerez

• Team Member
  • The Galaxy needs saving. You in?
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »

Here's a list of all the items we want to fix on the client end of the system.

-Make the grid blank to start
-Add a "Did not show" button and a "Did not move" button
-Auto-fill last match type and number
-Make the warning more noticeable when the start position isn't filled in
-Add check boxes that detail what the feeder did (feed, throw to lane, midfield, far field, etc.)

Feel free to add any suggestions
Matthieu
PR Coordinator and Media Lead
Senior
Marketing Subteam

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2011, 09:36:16 AM »

- Change Robot Start to 3 Choices (just the bubbles on the lines) - Left, Center, Right
- Check for Minibot Deployed Checkbox if time is entered
- Make time submission one decimal place ie 4.2, 0.0, 9.6... etc
- Feeder Range should be: Slot, Lane, Midfield, Far Field (checkboxes for all that apply)
- Remove Feeder Hits Tubes off Robots
- Robot Speed: None, Slow, Medium, Fast

- Prevent a second line of notes from going to another line in the output file (see Rally data)

We also need to work in the following:
Endgame Role: Minibot Deploy, Defender, Scoring, None
(I think maybe a dropdown next to the Alliance Role would work)

Minibot Deploy - Center Field vs Lane... I couldnt tell what the difference was... maybe Near/Far?  Both are at the end of the lane...
~kim~

Kims Robot

• Let's Go Thunder!
  • Administrator
    • kimsrobot
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 10:11:23 AM »

I sent this to Matthieu & Justin a few days back, but figured it was worth posting here as well (Im certain there are changes since).

In the "real world" we often track software issues with a Problem Tracking System (PTS), which can take various online forms, or even just an excel sheet.  This is one for the scouting system.  Justin has done an amazing job making updates, new features and fixing bugs, this is just to make it a bit easier to track!
~kim~

Pages: 1 [2]